Mt Barker Football Club was established in 1881.
In the early 1880’s Mt Barker Football Club was not involved in any formal competitions. Instead we played against teams from around the Hill’s and often played teams from Adelaide. Ovals used in the early days included Mr. Weld’s paddock which was later called Weld Park and later Dunn Park where the local caravan park now is located.
1902 saw the formation of the “Hill’s Association” of which we became a member club until 1929. During this time, we won 7 premierships and were runners up 7 times.
In 1930-1932 the Club joined the Amateur League in Adelaide. This did not work out particularly well, mainly because of the extra travel involved. Many players from previous years decided to retire so the Club was considerably weakened.
In 1933 (until the end of 1937) the Club joined the “Mt Lofty Association”, winning premierships in 1933 and 1935.
1938 saw the Club make another change rejoining the “Hill’s Association” until the end of the 1953 season, winning premierships in 1938 (an undefeated season) and 1948. We were also runners up on 4 occasions.
Mount Barker Football Club transferred to the “Hill’s Central Association” in 1954 until 1966, a period that became a golden era for us, winning 5 premierships and being runners up on 3 other occasions.
The “Hill’s Football League” was formed in 1967, a combination of Torrens Valley Association and Hills Central Association. Mt Barker Football club is one of only 3 inaugural members of the Hills Football League (the others being Lobethal and Onkaparinga Valley) During the present “HFL era”, our A Grade Men’s side has won 8 Premierships and been runners up on 9 occasions.
The club has expanded in recent years with more junior sides, and the introduction of women’s football in 2016. Our senior women’s team won a Premiership in its inaugural year (2016) in Division 2 of the South Australian Women’s Football League.
In all we have a total of 24 senior premierships since the formation of the Club.
We are proud of our Heritage, and continually work towards incorporating our great history into the current day activities of our Club.